Silver and gold were discovered in 1873, in what was to become Taylor, a typical mining community supported chiefly by the Argus and Monitor Mines. In seven years, the town boasted a population of fifteen hundred people, seven saloons, three general stores, an opera house, a Wells Fargo office, and professional services. By 1886, Taylor was the center of county activity, a social highlight being the annual 4th of July celebration.
Mining continued intermittently until 1919. At that time, a one hundred ton cyanide plant at the Argus Mine gave the area new life, but production declined when the price of silver plummeted. World War II renewed mining activity temporarily. Local mines yielded more than $1 million in silver, gold, copper, and lead.