Osceola, most famous of the White Pine County gold producers, was probably the longest-lived placer camp in Nevada.
The gold-bearing quartz belt found in 1872 was 12 miles long by 7 miles wide. Placer gold was found in 1877 in a deep ravine indenting the area. Miners first used the simple process of the common “49” rocker. Hydraulic monitors later were used to mine the gold from the 10’ to 200’ thick gravel beds. One gold nugget found was valued at $6,000.
Osceola was a good business town because of its location near the cattle and grain ranches and gardens in the Spring and Snake Valleys.
Famous district mines were: the Cumberland, Osceola, Crescent and Eagle, Verde, Stem-Winder, Guilded Age, Grandfather Snide, Red Monster and the Saturday Night.
The camp produced nearly $5 million primarily in gold, with some silver, lead and tungsten.