One of the early-1900s gold camps, Round Mountain, was distinct for a variety of reasons. First, it was productive for more than 60 years. But there were other aspects of Round Mountain that set it apart.
Gold occurred here in free, visible, metallic form. Many small, high-grade veins were easily mined with hand tools while larger, lower-grade veins provided ore for milling plants. Placer gold occurred in economically-recoverable amounts in the peripheral gravels at the base of the mountain, which were first dry washed. Water piped across the valley floor from two mountain creeks helped recover the gold from the gravels by hydraulic mining for ten years. Still later, heavy equipment was used to mine the deeper gravels. A significant benchmark in local history occurred in 1929 when early promoter and operator, Louis D. Gordon, consolidated the many claims into Nevada Porphyry Gold Mines, Inc.