THE WINTERS RANCH

RANCHO DEL SIERRA

This large Gothic-style structure, completed about 1864, was the ranch home of Theodore and Maggie Winters and their seven children.  Originally this area was settled by Mormons, and the ranch was purchased from Mormons by Winters and his brother, from the proceeds of the Comstock.  Theodore Winters immediately set out to enlarge his property, and built the present mansion.  The ranch, at one time, consisted of around 6,000 acres

Winters raised outstanding race horses.  He also had a large dairy operation and raised beef cattle, work horses, and sheep

Theodore Winters was active in politics and was elected as a territorial representative in 1862