Hudson Bay Company’s Peter Skene Ogden traversed Paradise Valley in November 1828. Settlers came to Paradise Valley in 1863. Conflicts with local Native Americans started the next year, causing the establishment of Camp Winfield Scott (1866-70) four miles from here. Paradise Valley farms supplied the nearby Nevada and Idaho territory mines.
In the original town of Scottsdale (1866), John C. Kemler built the first hotel, now used as a residence. Renamed Paradise City (1869), the town was a mining supply center from 1878 until 1920. Later when livestock raising predominated, the town was again renamed, this time “Paradise Valley.”