This plot was purchased in 1890 for $180 in gold coin by the General O.M. Mitchel post #89, Grand Army of the Republic, to be used as a last resting place for comrades-in-arms during the Civil War, 1861-1865.
It became a place of beauty in the early 1900s.
Following years of neglect and outrageous vandalism, restoration was initiated in 1963 by the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War and other interested citizens of the Reno area.
Among those buried here are member of the Nevada volunteers who served in their own state and neighboring areas of the West from 1861-1866.