Following the mining boom in the Aurora District in 1860, Jack Wright and Leonard Hamilton put up a bridge across the West Walker River and established a stage station at this location. Wagons and stages were repaired, and horses shod. The station soon became a trading center for nearby ranches and farms.
In 1863, Daniel Wellington bought the interests of Wright and Hamilton and the station became known as “Wellington’s.” The Wellington Hotel, located about a half mile south of the station, was constructed by wagonmaster Zadok Pierce in 1875. Over the years it has served as a livery stable, freight station, general store, and post office.