From 1868 until 1884, the Central Pacific’s Truckee Wadsworth Division was located on this site. In 1882, work was started on a new site across the river, and by 1883, a new round house, shop, etc. were completed there. A fire on April 15, 1884, fanned by heavy wind, destroyed the remaining railroad buildings as well as the town. Damage exceeded $100,000. Lack of an adequate water supply contributed to the extensive damage. Another fire in 1902 stimulated the plan to move to a new site. In 1904, division facilities in the town were moved to an entirely new location, which became Sparks, Nevada.
SNOWSHOE THOMPSON CHAPTER NO. 1827, E. CLAMPUS VITUS