Rich in prehistoric culture, and noted by the explorer Jedediah Smith in 1826, Moapa Valley is crossed by the Old Spanish Trail
In 1865 Brigham Young sent 75 families to settle the area, to grow cotton for the people of Utah, and to connect Utah with the Pacific Ocean via the Colorado River
Located near the junction of the muddy and virgin rivers, and now under Lake Mead, the “Cotton Mission” was named St. Thomas for its leader, Thomas Smith. A prosperous, self-contained agricultural industry was built up in the valley, which included orchards, vineyards, cotton, grains, and vegetables
The December 1870, survey placed the valley in Nevada which meant property owners owed back taxes to Nevada. The settlers, now including those in St. Joseph, (old) Overton, West Point, and Logandale, began leaving two months later. They abandoned the results of 7 years of labor, more than 18 miles of irrigation canal and several hundred acres of cleared land
Other Mormons resettled the land in 1880. The area remains one of the most agriculturally productive in the state.