Completed in 1886, the State Printing Building is the second oldest structure built by the State within the Capitol Complex. Architects Morrill J. Curtis and Seymore Pixley, designed the Italianate structure to compliment the older State Capitol (1870). Curtis was responsible for many significant buildings throughout Nevada and the West, including the octagonal library annex to the rear of the State Capitol (1906). Like many important structures in Carson City, this building was constructed of sandstone ashlar quarried at the nearby State Prison. It is a significant example of state governmental architecture for the period. From 1886 to 1964, this building housed the offices and presses of the State Printer.