Constructed as a Union Pacific railroad depot in 1923, this mission revival structure was designed by well-known Los Angeles architects, John and Donald Parkinson.  The depot represents an imposing example of mission revival design.  Much of its interior was made of solid oak, and the total cost was more than $80,000. The depot replaced a former structure which burned on September 9, 1921.  This newer facility included a restaurant and fifty-room hotel for some years.  The structure has served Caliente as a civic center and is the location of city government offices