Founded in 1851, this is one of the oldest constantly-maintained cemeteries in Nevada. The trail to the California Mother Lode passed directly in front and the wagon tracks can still be seen with careful observation.
James Finney (“Old Virginny”) after whom Virginia City is named, is buried here. Many people buried here are Italian Americans, as this ethnic group dominated much of Dayton’s early history. Recognizing the potential of the land and the irrigating value of the Carson River, Italian Americans made this area the breadbasket for the Comstock.