Across the road and down about 300 feet was the original Unionville School. Built in 1862, this adobe building was the first public structure in the county. Used by such organizations as the Union League, Knights of the Golden Circle, the Masons and the Ancient and Honorable Order of E. Clampus Vitus, it served the community until its demolition in 1871.
Exactly 109 years later, members of the E.C.V. gathered here to hold a reunion in commemoration of this propitious event. To the rear of this marker are the remains of Mark Twain’s cabin. Also a member of E. C.V., he built this structure in 1861 and lived here before moving to Virginia City.