Located in the Star Mining District some seven miles west of here, Star City was established in 1861 when rich silver ore was discovered in the area. During the boom years of 1864 and 1865, the town boasted 1,200 residents, two hotels, three general stores, a wells-Fargo office, a church and a dozen or more saloons.
The Sheba Mine, the district’s biggest operation, had produced about $5,000.00 in silver by 1868, the year the rich ore began to run out. Three years later, only seventy-eight inhabitants remained in star city. All that remains today are crumbling foundations, rusted mill equipment and memories.