In 1860, journalist J. Ross Browne wrote that this site gives “a forcible impression of the unhallowed character of the place.” This rugged reef of metamorphic rock was a notable landmark of the Nevada Territory. Beginning in 1850, the canyon to the south was the scene of placer mining, which lasted for a decade. One of the first stamp mills in the territory was erected just to the south of Devil’s Gate during the summer of 1860.
During the brief Pyramid Lake War of May 1860, the people of Silver City built a stone battlement atop the eastern summit of Devil’s Gate and constructed a wooden cannon for protection.
Devil’s Gate marks the boundary line between Storey and Lyon Counties. Through this narrow gorge thousands of adventurous souls passed as they made their way to the gold and silver mines of the Comstock Lode.