This building was constructed as a passenger depot for the Nevada-California-Oregon Railroad. A narrow-gauge line connecting Reno with Northern California and Southern Oregon.
It began operations in 1882 as the Nevada and California railroad. Reno was its headquarters with a roundhouse, repair shops, and a storage yard situated at this location. Northward expansion of the line terminated at Lakeview, Oregon, January, 1912.
In 1917, the Western Pacific Railroad purchased the N.C.O. Line from Reno to Herlong, California, and standard gauged it. The depot continued to serve the traveling public until 1937.