Crystal Springs was designated as the provisional seat for Lincoln County in 1866. With the intention of organizing the new county, Governor Henry G. Blasdel left Carson City in April 1866, accompanied by over twenty people. After a perilous journey through Death Valley, California, they reached the new district of Pahranagat. Upon arrival at Crystal Springs, the governor found that the region lacked the number of voters necessary to meet the requirements for county organization. A year later the county government organized at Hiko. Crystal Springs used as a watering place and campsite, was the principal stopover on an alternate route of the Mormon Trail.