In 1862, Mead, McCone, and Tascar established a foundry at Johntown, two miles southeast of here in Gold Canyon.  After two years, they moved their operation to this point and erected a large granite building.  John McCone became the sole proprietor of the foundry in 1866

A fire on May 15, 1872 left nothing standing but the walls

McCone then bought the Fulton Foundry in Virginia City and made it the largest in the state.  It employed 110 men at its peak

Fulton’s manufactured all the early castings of the Virginia and Truckee Railway

The largest casing (in its time) poured on the Pacific Coast was made at Fulton’s on December 11, 1880