Built about 1860, the Warm Springs Hotel was used by Nevada’s first territorial legislature as a meeting place in 1861. The structure was built from handhewn sandstone taken from a nearby quarry. An imposing edifice in its day, the building typified the enterprise of the owner, Abe Curry. He and his business partners surveyed the site of Carson City, were farsighted enough to leave space for a state capitol building while the area was part of Utah, and attracted incoming merchants to their tiny community.
In 1862, the hotel was leased by Nevada Territory and used for holding prisoners. Two years later, the state purchased the property for use as a prison. During 1867, a fire destroyed the hotel. Present prison facilities occupy the ground where the hotel was situated