CENTER OF THE GOLD RAILROADS
“CHICAGO OF THE WEST”
Beatty was the center of three short-lived, so-called “gold” railroads that were spawned by early-1900s strikes in Tonopah, Goldfield and Rhyolite
Between 1906 and 1907, railroad companies constructed the Las Vegas and Tonopah from Las Vegas through Beatty and Rhyolite to Goldfield, the Bullfrog Goldfield from Goldfield to Beatty and Rhyolite, and the Tonopah and Tidewater from Ludlow, California to Gold Center. The last of these used the Bullfrog Goldfield tracks from Gold Center to Beatty and Rhyolite until 1914
Rancher M. M. Beatty drove the last spike on April 18, 1907, marking the completion of the first and only north-south railroad system in the state
Rails were torn up at Beatty beginning on July 18, 1942.