Constructed in 1879 at a cost of $10,000, the Sentinel Building was designed by architect C.M. Bennett. The Eureka Sentinel was published here from 1879 to 1960. Three generations of the Skillman family, Archibald, Edward, and Willis, edited the newspaper. The last editor, Edward J. Moyle, had been with the Sentinel for over fifty years before he took over the editorial chair in 1944.