Double Springs was the notorious Round Tent Ranch, or Spragues, a station on the road to Esmeralda. Here, James C. Dean, one of the owners and Justice of the Peace in the district in 1864, murdered his wife. This station was connected by the Olds Toll Road with the headquarters of the horse thieves at Fairview.
About four miles north is Mammoth Ledge, post office of the Eagle Mining District, and the polling place in 1861 of the Mammoth Precinct of Douglas County. After 1866, it was known as Carter’s Station, a stopping place on the road to Esmeralda.
state historic preservation office