An important hostelry was known as Twelve Mile House because of its distance from Genoa and also from Cradlebaugh Bridge across the Carson River. It was built in 1860 by Thomas Wheeler, where the Boyd toll road to Genoa and the Cradlebaugh toll road to Carson City converged. In this vicinity a second station was built by James Teasdale.
Twelve Mile House was an important stop on the road to the Esmeralda mining camp of Aurora.
state historic preservation office
carson valley historical society