The remains of Cradlebaugh Bridge, built in 1861, by William Cradlebaugh, stand ¼ mile west of here. This bridge shortened the distance from Carson City to Aurora in the then- booming Esmeralda Mining District.
There were two routes from Carson City south to the bridge where they joined, crossed the river, and headed into the desert. One followed the westside of the Carson River. The foothill alternate went via Jacks Valley and the old John James Ranch, then around the hill to the bridge. Five miles south of Cradlebaugh Bridge the road passed Desert Station, a lively hostelry, and beyond, the Twelve Mile House enroute to Esmeralda.
The road and bridge were purchased by Douglas County in 1895 for $5,000.