Like many Nevada hot springs, the ones located here dot a fault break along which the mountains rise.
In 1862, along this Carson branch of the emigrant trail David and Harriet Walley developed a $100,000 spa and eleven baths, a ballroom, and gardens. The thermal water (136 to 160 degrees F) became well known as a cure of “rheumatism and scrofulous affections.”
Walley’s Hot Springs sold for a mere $5000 in 1896, but functioned until 1935 when it burned. Its former cool cellar is integrated into the complex.
In 1962, trial hydro-thermal power holes were drilled here as deep as 1,250’: maximum temperature 181 degrees.